Â The hey days of Rome‘s cinema greatness may have…
The Teatro dellâ€™ Opera was originally known as the Teatro Costanzi. The Teatro originally opened in November 1880. It was built within eighteen months on the site where the house of Heliogabalus stood. It was established on 27 November 1880 with a performance of Semiramide by Gioachino Rossini.At present the capacity is 1,600.The post-war period saw celebrated productions including Mozart‘s Le Nozze di Figaro in 1964 and Verdi‘s Don Carlos in 1965, both conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini and directed by Luchino Visconti. On January 2 1958 the Theater was the venue for a controversial performance of Norma starring Maria Callas that was given in the presence of President of Italy.
The theatre is located at Piazza Gigli, and is five minutes walk from Repubblica Metro Station (Linea A), and close to Stazione Termini, which is only few minutes walk from Hotel Des Artistes
Students, and those under the age 25, and over-65 qualify for half-price tickets, but not for first nights or low costing seats. Holders of some train tickets are also eligible for discounts.