Our Blogger: Stefano Ferrari is an Italian car manufacturer with…
Our Blogger: Marcello
In the region of Lombardy during the middle ages it was discovered, by accident, how to prepare a cake that is now popular throughout Italy. At Christmas time it’s a typical dessert .Its called Panettone and its almost impossible to imagine Christmas without it.
Panettone is increasingly becoming popular in other countries in Europe, for example Spain. In Argentina its also very popular. This is because Italian immigrants during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries brought it to these countries. This is even why in the legendary Pampas its also present at the Christmas table.
Now I want to tell you how to prepare it. Here is the recipe:
(For 10 people)
250 g of raisins
1 kg of flour
350 g of butter
10 egg yolks
250g of candied fruit
350 g sugar
1. Knead yeast, dissolved in warm water, and one third of the flour until you get a soft dough.
2. Make a cross on the panettone and let it rise, covered, in a warm place for 20-25 minutes.
3. Resume the kneading with another third of flour and a tablespoon of warm water.
4. Cover again and let the dough rise in a warm place for 3 hours or until it has doubled in volume.
5. Do the same again, adding all the flour and water whilst trying to make the batter thicker.
6. After about 9 hours of leavening the dough (leaving it to rise) add the melted butter and the egg yolks, one at a time, the sugar – which should be dissolved in water, salt, raisins and well strizzata lightly floured, and candied fruit.
7. Work long enough to get a smooth dough, you will maybe need a couple of hours.
8. Place the dough into the mold, anointed with melted butter and lined with paper baking foil, and place in a 170 degree oven.
9. After about 40 minutes, half cooked, brush the surface of panettone with butter, then put it back in the oven for another 40 minutes.
10. Wait for it to cool down and then push it out.
We hope you will enjoy it. If you want to know some more about this or another secret of Italian cooking just send an email to email@example.com. You can even learn the secrets from our very own nonna.
Christmas in Rome is very special. This is why so many people come to visit Rome and decide to stay in our hotel…We do our best to make them feel like home.